ESPN.com has the Wilson “hazing” (sexual assault) story on it’s front page this afternoon.
The story itself is a decent telling by author Elizabeth Merrill, considering, the details on the story have always been sketchy.
Cliff notes version: Two (maybe three) Wilson High School students were sexually assaulted on a bus back from a baseball game. Once news leaked out, the coaches were called out, the team was called out, and the town came to their defense. (Not to the victim’s defense … but to the coaches and assailants).
The story paints a very bleak picture of what it must be like to be a victim. These poor young men have essentially been told that the whole fiasco is their fault. They brought it on themselves … and it’s only “hazing” so they shouldn’t make a big deal of it. Moreover, the media was also blamed for “blowing it out of proportion.”
When this first happened, you may recall, I covered it extensively. I was told then that it was no big deal. “Boys will be boys,” etc.
The same type of comments are now being made on the comments section of the article itself. Some samples:
- f@#! those gay hicks!
- I cant wait for Matt Stone and Trey Parker’s take on the situation.
- i wonder if they’re democrats or republicans
- you got to wonder.. maybe if the baseball team WON a game once is a while…,. they woudl have something to feel good about rather then feel totally humiliated … which in turn usually makes people want to humiliate others.. (45 -0… how that happened I have no idea)
- Why post this and embarrass these poor kids more? You are just as bad for trying to make a story out of this for your own benefit. You should be ashamed!
- This kinda really had nothing to do with sports….I mean…. I understand ESPN doing some stories…but this, really?
People disgust me.
(Thanks to Buffalo Pundit for being the first to point out that ESPN was covering this.)